The Waiting Game

We had another great appointment with Jo on Thursday. First she showed Paul how to feel around for where all of Annie's parts are. He loved that. Then she checked to see if I was dilated at all. She told me that I'm a centimeter and a half dilated, my cervix is softening, and the baby's head is halfway into my pelvis and is "very committed" to keep heading in that direction. Meaning she poked at her head and she wasn't budging. I know that the news doesn't necessarily mean that anything will happen anytime soon, but it was encouraging news nonetheless. At least it means I'll have a centimeter and a half less to go when I do go into labor! She also said that she expected me to start having contractions sometime in the next few days. I'm not sure what made her think that, but it sure was exciting to hear!

Friday night was date night, we went to watch a Red Wings game. It was strange not knowing if that would be our last night out as nonparents! We had a good time though, ate our dinner, watched the game & talked about how excited we were that we were about to meet our baby, then stayed for the fireworks afterwards.

Yesterday I made sure to get plenty of rest. I slept in and then spent most of the day relaxing on the couch, watching some Sex and the City DVDs. When Paul got home from work we headed out to the mall to get a wedding present for next weekend. (Oh yeah, we have a wedding to go to next weekend. Paul's best friend Tony is getting married 3 days after our due date. Oops! Paul is in the wedding too. We're just going to play it by ear. Hopefully we'll make it, but they'll understand if we don't!) I was hoping walking around a lot would get things moving. Sure enough, after having dinner we started walking and I started having contractions! They were coming pretty steadily for about 2 hours. Then they stopped. So discouraging. They weren't horribly painful, but they were darn uncomfortable, and then to have them come to nothing was so disappointing. Every time I had a one we would try not to get too excited, telling ourselves it could be false labor. But we were both definitely hoping we would be having a baby last night or sometime today. Darn it. We have to go out again today, hopefully that will get things moving along again, and maybe they'll stick this time if they start. Tonight we're going to a concert at the Lilac Festival with my sister Kathryn. I'm half hoping we'll make it, because the woman is one of my new favorites (Ingrid Michaelson), but of course I'm half hoping we'll have a wonderful reason to miss it! I am trying to prepare myself though, there is still a good chance we could be waiting around for another 2 weeks or so. I really hope not, the anticipation is killing me!

The good news is she's still really active and we're having a lot of fun watching her move around in there. Last night after we got home we were sitting on the couch and Paul was waiting to see if he could feel her feet. She had been poking them out all night. She finally did when he had his hand there and he was SO excited. I don't think I've seen him that happy about feeling her move as he did right then. I don't know if it's the anticipation that she could come any day now or what, but it sure was sweet to see how much it touched him. I really can't wait to see him with her!

No comments: