3.27.2008

The Tour

At this week's childbirth class we went on our hospital tour. We were really excited to see where all of the action would happen. The maternity ward was nice, not too hospital-y and nice and quiet while we were there. I have to admit, I was a little nervous that we would hear horrible screaming, but we managed to avoid that. We saw the triage unit (where you go first to make sure you're really in labor), a labor room, the nursery, and then the post-birth rooms. We saw one baby out in the hall. The whole thing made me really excited for the big day. It made Paul nervous though, poor guy. He said that it really hit him that we're only weeks away from having our baby, and we still have lots to do to get ready! I'm confident we'll get it all done though, we really do still have time. And having all of this stuff to keep us busy will make it easier to pass the time and avoid getting too anxious!

In our class after the tour we learned about the hospital's pain medication/medical intervention policies. So far I've been really open to being flexible, just trying to go with the flow as much as possible. After hearing about all of the side effects and seeing all of the machines you have to be hooked up to in order to have an epidural (holy lack of mobility), I'm really hoping I can do this without any of that. I'm not delusional, I know it will freaking hurt, but I really am not into being confined to a bed for hours at a time. I think I would be miserable. But I guess I really don't know how I'll feel then, so I'm still trying my best to not overthink it, remind myself that I need to be flexible. I am definitely going to get cracking on that birth plan though!

No comments: