3.20.2008

Labor

31 weeks

So I'm really liking our Childbirth classes. Sure, they can feel cheesy and cliche, and it is hard not to feel kind of silly when we're practicing breathing exercises, but for the most part, we are getting a lot of good information and it sure does make our big day feel like it's actually going to get here.

Paul grumbles a lot before we have to go (it is kind of a pain that the classes are from 7-9 on a Tuesday night, 4 Tuesdays in a row), but when we get there, he seems to enjoy being there with me, hearing about all of this stuff. It's all about learning how to be a good coach, and since the beginning of this pregnancy he's been nothing but supportive and eager to help me. I am lucky. Plus, last night the coaches learned a bunch of massage techniques, so that was a nice class for the mamas!

We also watched the dreaded birth video last night. It wasn't too bad, despite the fact that it was very early 90's, on a very scratchy VHS tape, and the father was wearing a dress shirt, tie, and suspenders for the entire 12-hour labor. Oh, and don't forget the shot of the baby coming out, which we weren't really prepared for, for some reason. We should have known it was coming really! But I guess it was good to see what exactly is going to happen. Paul made fun of me because I got all teary at the end, but how can you not? They were so happy, you can't help but think about how amazing it's all going to be. I really can't wait.

For some reason, I am not feeling afraid or nervous about labor at all. Before I got pregnant, it was one of my great fears. But as soon as I found out I was pregnant all of a sudden the only way I could think of labor is as a big adventure. And I'm still feeling that way with 9 weeks to go, even after learning about all of the gory details. I just really feel like I am prepared, I can handle it, and the outcome is going to be so worth it. Man, I hope it stays that way!

No comments: